Ulun Danu Beratan
On the rim of a large crater, Bali Ulun Danu Beratan shrine is a shrine dedicated to the lake goddess Ida Batari Dewi Ulun Danu. The most significant shrines are Meru’s (pagodas) devoted to the lake goddess and the gods of Mount Batur and Mount Gunung Agung, Bali’s largest volcanoes. In the 17th century, the temple was built to worship the Hindu trinity of Brahma-Vishnu-Shiva as well as the lake goddess Dewi Danu. The splendor and tranquillity of the Bali uplands have made the lake and its temple a famous tourist and leisure destination, as well as a popular photographic area. The most important sanctuary on the island, Ulun Danu Beratan Temple, literally “the source temple of Lake Beratan,” is without a doubt the most significant sanctuary on the island, sharing exquisite elements.
Things To Know Before Visit Ulun Danu Beratan Temple
Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is located in the village of Bedugul and is very easy to spot because it is on the major road that leads to the iconic Handara Gate and is also located on the picturesque Beratan Lake. If you leave from Kuta or Seminyak, it will take around two hours to reach the place, which is quite a long time because it is located in the highlands, close to many popular tourist destinations. With a very cool ambiance, this temple has become one of the emblems of the Bedugul village, which is frequently visited by both foreign and domestic tourists. If you want to go here, we at Bali Tour are ready to take you By providing a low-cost Hire Car and Driver service, as well as a competent driver, the trip to Ulun Danu Beratan will be more enjoyable
Ulun Danu Beratan Temple can be traced back to the rise of the Mengwi kingdom. The name of Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is taken from the lake where the temple is built at Beratan Lake. The name of Beratan Lake is inseparable with the Beratan Mount as Deity and Goddess as fertility source, prosperity to keep the prosperity in life and society life. In Papyrus Chronicle of the Mengwi is elaborated by the history of Ulun Danu Beratan Temple founding together with existence of the Mengwi Empire. Therefore its status is pertained with the secondhand of Temple Empire what is usually pertained as Dang Kahyangan. It is the same to the description in papyrus of Usana Bali and Padma Bhuwana, hence Puncak Mangu Temple where the Panyawangan (representative place to worship) is the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple. So it is called by entire Balinese residents as Kahyangan Jagat (The Biggest Group of Hindu Temple in Bali ). The ‘floating’ temple complex is comprised of four groups of shrines, including the prominent Lingga Petak shrine to its east. There are four gates facing each of the four points of the compass.
Ulun Danu Beratan Temple complex that is very wide and very beautiful, there are four important and sacred temples in the Ulun Danu Beratan area of this temple. Which is often visited by Hindus who on their Tirta Yatra trip, always visit the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple, because it is one of the oldest, sacred and important temples for Hindus in Bali. Some of the temples in the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple area are as follows:
- Lingga Petak Temple owns the function to worship the Siwa God, Each door faces the four cardinal directions, where Lingga Petak Temple is the source of Lake Beratan & Fertility in the Lake Beratan area. Inside the Lingga Petak building there is a sacred well that stores the holy water from Ulun Danu Bratan which is located between two large black and red stones. As for this temple which looks very iconic where it is located on Lake Beratan and its uniqueness can be seen when the lake water is large, it looks like this Lingga Petak looks like it is floating on Lake Beratan, a very iconic and very beautiful sight, it is not surprising that Ulun is a tourist destination. Beratan Lake is often visited by foreign and domestic tourists
- Penataran Pucak Mangu Temple is referred this gate as Parhyangan ri pinggiring rawa Beratan or Danu Beratan Temple is founded by I Gusti Agung Putu to worship the Hyang ing Parwata or Deity which is placed in Pucak Mangu that is Bhatara Hyang Danawa as according to papyrus of Padma Bhuwana and Usana Bali, because Mangu Mount is located in north direction, hence it is called the Bhatara Hyang Danawa or Wisnu God. The temple is devoted to worship Tri Purusha Shiva, those are Shiva, Sadha Shiva, Parama Shiva. This temple facing south, and could be seen after entering the Balinese Gate “Candi Bentar” towards to the lake Beratan.
- Terate Bang Temple is functioning to worship of Brahma God, this is the palace of Lord Agni which has hot springs with the smell of sulfur. When entering this temple area, you will smell a very strong sulfur smell and a sour taste of water, where the acid signifies and has the energy of prosperity, so it will give an aura of gold and prosperity, especially those who have the soul of an entrepreneur or trader. Located next to the lake and going there we need a speed boat from Lake Beratan to see the beauty of the Lotus Temple from a speed boat
- Dalem Purwa Temple is functioning to worship of Danu Goddess which is considered to be miraculous of the Bhatara Hyang Danawa or Laksmi Goddess. is as a palace and worship of the goddess “Dewi Durga” and the god “God Ludra” which serves as a source of prosperity, Mani Murda Temple and the long hall “Bale Pemaruman” as a place to hold “Upakara” ceremonial equipment. The holy places face east and are located on the south bank of Lake Beratan.
- Beji Temple is a temple in the Ulun Danu temple complex and is used for the Ngebejiang Ceremony asking for holy water “Tirta” to purify the ceremony facilities, besides that Beji Temple is also used as a place for the Melasti Ceremony “Ahead of Nyepi Day” by the community. Hindus in Bali. The location of this temple is on the east side of the Enjung Beji Hotel and is not surrounded by walls.
What you need to know is that there are certain days for religious ceremonies at the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple, while the ceremony days are calculated based on the Balinese calendar where one month has 35 days, so if by chance you visit the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple to coincide with the holiday. , you will see many Hindus who come here to pray for safety, inner and outer happiness as well as health. It is hoped that if you see Hindus praying here to be polite and not interfere with the ceremony taking place, so that the situation becomes very comfortable and peaceful. The ceremony at the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is divided into two stages of ceremonies that are often held
- The temple ceremony which is executed every six-month (210 days) that on Anggara (Tuesday) Kliwon Julungwangi (Base on Balinese Hindu calendar). Every 12 months (420 days) is executed by the bigger ceremony from the ordinary ceremony, so-called Piodalan Agung. On certain days such as full moon, tilem and other major Hindu holidays, many Hindus come to pray together, including the purpose of Melasti and Ngegara Gunung ceremonies as a series of Ngaben.
- Pakelem ceremony is executed at any times as according to situation and condition. The Pakelem ceremony owns the function to worship the supremacy and also cheapness of the infinite for award of life, fertility, prosperity, as impact of the existence of ecosystem balance so that give the benefit for life and universe life forever and ever, during Beratan Lake and Beratan Mount stand
Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is one of the most popular tourist destinations among foreign and domestic tourists, with all the beauty of this temple located on Lake Beratan called Lingga Petak which is the target of photographers, in addition to the beauty that is emitted and located in a good place, namely Lake Beratan, Besides the Lingga Petak Temple, this beautiful lake is also the target of photography. It can be said that Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is an icon of Bedugul village, and is one of the most visited tourist destinations besides Uluwatu Temple, Tanah Lot Temple and Lempuyang Temple. If you visit the village of Bedugul, don’t forget to stop here, with a fantastic view that will make the photos very iconic and very instagramable. In the past, if you came to Bali and saw a postcard, surely you would see a photo of this Ulun Danu Beratan temple on a postcard, this indicates that the Ulun Danu Beratan temple has been known since the beginning of tourism in Bali and with this can be said that the Ulun Danu Beratan temple has become famous in foreign countries thanks to this postcard with a picture of Ulun Danu Beratan temple
As one of the most famous tourist destinations in the world, and becoming one of the icons of the village of Bedugul, where the Lingga Petak Temple overlaps solas and overlaps three, it always offers a very beautiful beauty to the eye, from various angles it still looks so beautiful. and very photographic and it’s no wonder that the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is used as a photo on a postcard and also in a note that displays the beauty of this Ulun Danu Beratan temple. Some of the functions of the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple are as follows:
- As a place of worship to Sang Hyang Widhi in his nature as a God Prosperity
- As a place of worship for the goddess who resides in Lake Beratan, namely Dewi Laksmi who is the goddess of fertility and beauty.
- The existence of Lake Beratan as a water source for agricultural irrigation for the surrounding area making it hold the status of Pura Kahyangan Jagat, which is a public temple where Hindus pray from across regions, groups, and professions.
- As a place of worship, it is realized by the existence of several worship buildings/pelinggih. Between the pelinggih, there are two buildings – namely The Palebahan of the Middle Segara Temple and the Palebahan of the Most Lingga Petak/Ulun Danu which position jutting into the middle of the lake. The unique position of these two sacred buildings is rare found in the Ulun Danu temple which was established in other lakes in Bali. This makes the two sacred buildings in the middle of Lake Beratan not only have spiritual value but also high beauty value.
- Besides functioning as a place of worship for Hindus from many surrounding areas, Ulun Danu Beratan Temple has indeed become a center of attraction for tourism in Bedugul.
What is unique you can see when visiting the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is the presence of a Buddhist Stupa located in the Ulun Danu Beratan temple area. Which has the meaning of religious harmony and harmony in ancient times. and this stupha building faces south and is located outside the temple area, precisely in the garden area in Ulun Danu Beratan Temple. It is not known exactly when the Buddha stupha was built, it is possible to say that the construction coincided with the construction of the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple, which can be concluded if long ago there was religious tolerance between Hindus and Buddhists which is evidence of harmony and harmony within the community. religious. Based on the archaeological data found and located on the front page of the Ulun Danu Bedugul Temple, there are historical relics such as a stone sarcophagus and stone boards which are estimated to have existed since the megalithic era, around 500 BC. And if based on the data, then the age of the Ulun Danu Beratan temple is very old, and is one of the oldest rows of temples on the island of Bali.
As for the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple as an icon of this Bedugul village, which is never deserted by the visits of foreign and domestic tourists, it turns out that there are several things you can do here besides visiting the beauty of this Ulun Danu Beratan temple. This will complete your adventure to see the oldest temple on the island of Bali with all its uniqueness that always amazes us. If you visit the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple you can do the following things to fill the time while visiting the Icon of this Bedugul village
- Jukung Tour: Jukung is a traditional boat, on Lake Beratan there is a service for renting a jukung that you can use to get around this beautiful Beratan Lake from the middle of the lake, an experience that you probably won’t forget, where to go around the lake by using Jukung, an unforgettable sensation to go around Beratan Lake which is so beautiful
- Take Photo with Animals: Here there are also professional photo services that offer their services to take photos with some very exotic animals such as albino pythons, chameleons, eagles, green hornbills, owls, bats, parrots and other animals that are not inferior pull it. An unforgettable experience where taking pictures with exotic animals in the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple area
- Children’s Playground: Here there is a playground for children placed in the park, very suitable for those of you who travel with family and enjoy time by letting your children play in this playground, there are small swings, slides and others that will make your child feel at home playing on the playground in the Ulun Danu temple garden at this temple
- Shopping: Here there are small art shops lined up along the parking area, mostly selling various handicrafts and clothes that you can buy as souvenirs for your family and friends, various casual clothes, beach clothes and others can be purchased here with the price is cheap and of course the price can be negotiated, if you are smart to bargain you can get goods at low prices
An activity that will make your visit to the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple very complete and full of memories, so it’s not wrong for you to choose this Ulun Danu Beratan temple as one of the tourist destinations that must be visited on your tour list. With beautiful views, very cool air, seeing historical buildings will complete your adventure on this beloved island of Bali
Best Seller Our Tour Activity
It wouldn’t be full if we didn’t participate in one of the following activities that will raise your heart rate while on vacation in Bali.
These are just a few of the many attractions that Bali has to offer. Take your time, enjoy the island’s natural beauty, rich culture, and friendly people, and do whatever you want.
Swim With Dolphin
Jeep Batur Sunrise
Bali Dirt Bike
Hire Car with Experienced English Speaking Driver
After purchasing your ticket, you will receive a confirmation email. We exclusively drive brand-new, meticulously maintained vehicles in terms of cleanliness and efficiency.They are available in a variety of capacities and levels of luxury to accommodate various group sizes and budgets. By clicking “BOOK THIS CAR” next to any of the vehicles mentioned below, you can reserve a car and a driver.
4 persons with luggage (max 6 without luggage)
4 persons with luggage (max 6 without luggage)
12 persons with luggage (max 16 without luggage)
4 persons with luggage (max 6 without luggage)
Why Choose Us Bali Trip Paradise
Our story with guests
The Experience of Those Who Vacation With Us
Review Us Here
Our Customer Support is ready to assist you with more specific information about Bali island